Featured Post

MABUHAY PRRD!

Monday, October 5, 2015

On The Perversion And Hypocrisy Of Filipinos

October 3, 2015
by Grimwald
PERVERT!
There, I had to say it. How did you feel? I’m sure there are those of you who probably got angry almost immediately. If that’s the case, then that at least means I have your attention.
Anyway, this article is more or less a response to ChinoF’s latest article that showcases the blatant vulgarity of our politicians and media. See, the thing is, I remember the overwhelming response to some of my previous articles and I can note how one commenter cited that the Philippines is a Catholic country and therefore somehow exempt from being called a “pervert”. This, despite the fact that the Catholic Church having a rather colorful history of immorality and despite the fact that our noontime shows (which children can watch at leisure) often feature sexy dancing girls and things like illicit affairs are the central themes of many of our soap operas and films.
morality_philippines
I mean really? We like to insist that we’re a wholesome people but our actions pretty much speak for themselves. Again, I have to ask, can you say you’re not a whore when you have in fact slept with just about everyone in town? Wearing a crucifix necklace and carrying a Bible around won’t make you any less sinful if your actions say otherwise, believe me.
Another commenter went on to say that I should stop just calling out local media and instead offer suggestions. In that case, I think I can oblige. Better pay attention though because I’m getting really tired of repeating myself.
Be Honest With Ourselves
This should be the first step when solving any kind of problem related to yourself. It’s not just with sexual perversion, you see. It can be anything from not doing your responsibilities, owning up to your mistakes to putting an end to a bad habit. In AA groups (alcoholics anonymous, for those not in the know), members who finally want to kick their alcoholism are asked to admit to their bad habits when introducing themselves.
So repeat after me: “I am a pervert.”
There’s nothing really wrong of being aware of your libido. Trust me, everyone in the world has a sex drive and you can’t be considered normal if you don’t have one. However, what bothers me is how far our media and our so-called “moral guardians” are willing to go to suppress our sexuality all the while approving shows filled with immoral themes and provocative visuals. At the end of the day, we only end up sweeping our sexual desires under the rug (but subconsciously driving ourselves crazy) and enticing minors with the mystery of sex.
As a Brazilian friend told me, denying our sexuality only makes it worse. As a metaphor, you can think of people stuck on a boat in the sea with no supply of fresh water. Filipinos torture themselves with sexual themes but go to great lengths to deny that they feel any kind of sexual desire for anything.
Come To Terms With Our Sexuality
Okay, let’s make this clear: I am not saying that we should make ourselves go sexually wild. What I am suggesting is that we simply accept our sexuality for what it is.
Tying in with my statement above, I think it’s time we accept that yes, we all have a sex drive and that yes, it does affect us to a certain degree. As many psychologists and psychiatrists have proven, suppressing something doesn’t make it go away. As a matter of fact, suppressing an emotion only makes it build up and set you up for a potentially dangerous or at least precarious situation when you finally lose control of yourself.
Instead of taking the high road, let’s just own up to the fact that yes, we like looking at hot people and that we also enjoy it when people look at us and think of us as “desirable”. Indeed, who doesn’t like looking at an attractive person of the opposite (or same, for others) sex after all. There are also those who enjoy, how shall we say, flaunting their assets and I have nothing against that either so long as they don’t go too far with their flaunting.
All I’m saying is that we shouldn’t shame our sexuality and accept it as another aspect of our humanity as much as eating, sleeping or watching TV is.
Controlling Our Desires
Again, this is not about suppressing our sexual desires. As I have said many times now, there is a right time and place for everything. All I am saying is that we put it in the right place and time instead of simply taking advantage of “sex sells” in order to make money.
I mean yes, “sex sells”, but I think that you should at least think about who may or may not be watching. You wouldn’t want to corrupt the minds of minors who might have the misfortune to be viewing your sexually charged program. That is why I am a very strong supporter of moving shows with explicit and immoral themes to much later time slots, preferably late at night when all the children have gone to sleep. What is unfortunate and infuriating is that majority of these immorality-themed shows or displays are usually on at noon, late afternoon or early in the evening, times when children are most likely to be home watching TV.
I really think that it’s high time for the MTRCB to really think about what they’re actually doing or if they even still exist at all.
***
So there, now you have my take on what ChinoF had to say in his article. The painful fact is that it’s just another case of saying “The Emperor is Naked” but nobody wants to take it as it is even though the emperor’s thingy is waggling right in front of us. We refuse to call out the immorality of some acts and themes of many of our shows even though they’re quite clearly not for young minds.
Please people, wake up and get it together. Most of all though: GET REAL!

Grimwald

Thaddeus Grimwald is an avid writer and supporter of the GRP website and writes his own fiction in his own Grow Up Philippines website. To check out his works of fiction, you can check the following: Hired Help.

No comments: