Featured Post

MABUHAY PRRD!

Thursday, May 17, 2012

Cast the first stone, Manny

INSIDE CONGRESS
Cast the first stone, Manny
By Charlie Manalo

The other day, Philippine boxing sensation Manny Pacquiao, interviewed by US media, in a very uncongressmanly fashion, chastised the whole lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) community. Detesting their sexual practices, the eight-division boxing champion practically condemned them to death.

Quoting Leviticus 20:13 of the Holy Bible, Manny Pacquiao reportedly told his interviewers that “If a man lies with a man as one lies with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They must be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads.”

Though he might be quoting the Bible, by making such statement in reaction to US President Barack Obama’s pronouncement on same sex marriage, it literally betrays Pacquiao’s position on LGBT: they don’t deserve to live.

While some sectors, including Courage Campaign led by its founder and chairman, Rick Jacobs, claim Pacquiao’s statement is enough to cause a diplomatic backlash saying Manny’s statement is uncalled for as it is not proper for an elected official of a country to criticize harshly the leader of the United States, this writer is in no position to deal on this diplomatic brouhaha, opting to instead to just stick to his discriminatory statement against LGBT.

Pacquiao, whose profession which is hurting other people physically is in direct conflict with his latest passion which is reading the Bible, further quoting the Bible, went on to say that “God only expects man and woman to be together and to be legally married, only if they so are in love with each other. It should not be of the same sex so as to adulterate the altar of matrimony, like in the days of Sodom and Gomorrah of Old.”

Wow! Is this Pacquiao talking? Wasn’t he rumored to have been romantically involved with actresses Ara Mina and Krista Ranillo? Didn’t a billiard attendant also accuse him of fathering her kid? How holy of him!

Mr. Pacquiao, being gay is not the fault of the person who is gay and we cannot blame a lesbian for being a lesbian and so forth. There have been many debates as to what causes homosexuality but I’d rather play it safe by quoting what Wikipedia has to say.

According to Wikipedia, it is “scientific and medical understanding is that sexual orientation is not a choice, but rather a complex interplay of biological and environmental factors.”

Wikipedia goes on to say that “while some religious organizations hold the view that homosexual activity is unnatural or dysfunctional, research shows that homosexuality is an example of normal variation in human sexuality and is not in and of itself a source of negative psychological effects. Prejudice and discrimination against homosexual and bisexual people, however, have been shown to cause psychological harm.”

And the last part played largely in Bayan Muna Rep. Teddy Casiño’s privilege speech the other day when he stated that the main problem facing LGBTs in the country is not about the same sex marriage “but discrimination in its most basic form.”

And I agree totally with Casiño as I have been a party to this. Rather, I had been a party to discriminating LGBTs.

In my teen-age days, I admit I used to make fun of LGBTs. I ridiculed them, made practical jokes on them hoping they would finally regret and give up being gays, or lesbians or bisexuals. Not until I grew older and mature that I learned to accept them for what they are and extend them respect. I still don’t understand them nor their sexual practices but what matters to me is that I have learned to accept and respect them.

Last January, my loving wife gave birth to a healthy baby boy. At this point, it is still too early to determine whether he will grow up as “macho” or a gay or bisexual (Which I pray won’t happen. No offense meant to LGBTs, but that that’s my preference as a parent and I hope you will also respect that).

Anyway, if ever my kid will grow up a gay or bisexual, I assure you I will accept him for what he will be and continue to shower him with my love. Gay or not, he will still be my son and I will see to it, as his parent, he will be brought up properly.

And in this line, I now pose this question to Mr. Pacquiao. What if one of your children ends up being gay or lesbian? Will you be man enough to live up by your words and insist that LGBTs be put to death?

Then go ahead! Cast the first stone yourself!

No comments: